Commenda di San Calogero is a luxury villa sleeping up to 24 people at the centre of the white stone valley looking out towards Mount Etna, north of Siracuse, Sicily. This luxury villa sits at the very end of the Ibleo plateau surrounded by lush fields rich in spring water. Up until the seventies the estate was a hunting reserve and still has one of the best and oldest stud farms in Sicily. The farmers's quarters have been beautifully converted into the 12 en-suite bedrooms and the ancient stonehouses are now home to the large dining room, library and sitting room, whilst the spa and salt-water pool can be found next to the medicinal and aromatic garden.
Discover the many nature trails and archaeological walks on the estate and marvel at the grottos and ancient tombs of the 9th century BC. The location of this boutique hotel allows you to get a taste of eastern Sicily in just a day and it is nearby to many ancient sites and ruins and architectural works of art and stunning towns such as Noto, Modica (famous for its chocolate) and Ragusa Ibla. Stay between May and June and enjoy the classical performances at the Greek Theatre of Siracusa or go in July and attend the Film Festival in Marzamemi which has the largest open-air hall in Europe. A stay in Sicily wouldn't be the same without some time relaxing by the pool and enjoying the traditional Sicilian fayre. There is a great little spa at Commenda di San Calogero complete with hammam and sauna and treatments can be organised on request.
The estate produces exquisite extra virgin olive oil, citrus marmelades and orange blossom honey, all of which you will want to take home with you so leave some room in your case! For lunch and dinner guests can savour delicious Sicilian dishes from an authentic Italian kitchen.
The 12 rooms and suites at Commenda di San Calogero are very light and spacious and are furnished with valuable antiques and original period pieces giving an authentic Sicilian atmosphere. In every room there is satellite TV, minibar, air-conditioning and a safe. Some of the rooms have a fireplace or a Jacuzzi.
How to get there?
DIRECTIONS FROM SYRACUSE:
1. Take highway going to Catania
2. Take exit on the right for Augusta
3. After a few meters take the exit for Villasmundo
4. After about 600 meters take the exit for Catania-SS 114
5. Pass by the first intersection and continue straight on towards Catania. Then take the exit for Brucoli-Lentini-Carlentini
6. At the stop sign turn left and go towards Carlentini
7. After about 100 meters you will see a big billboard with "IPERSPAR" supermarket on it. Right after this sign turn right (on your left you will also see a mirror for oncoming traffic). You will see a sign for Azienda Agricola San Calogero. Follow this road until you see a blue sign for "San Calogero". The" Commenda di San Calogero" has a blue gate with two cement benches on its side.
DIRECTIONS FROM CATANIA:
1. From Catania airport follow directions for Asse dei servizi-tangenziale-Siracusa.
2. Take the freeway going to Siracusa and after the tunnel take the exit for Ragusa-Lentini-Carlentini.
3. Look for yellow signs indicating SIRACUSA-AGNONE BAGNI-SS114 and continue straight . Do not take the exit on the right for Ragusa.
4. Once on the SS194 continue until the exit on the right for Siracusa-Agnone Bagni.
5. Follow the SS114 for about 6.5 km (PASS THE EXIT FOR AGNONE-LENTINI-CARLENTINI, FOLLOW THE CURVE ON A HILL UNTIL YOU REACH THE ESSO GAS STATION ON YOUR RIGHT). Proceed for about 2 km. Take the exit on the right for Brucoli-Lentini-Carlentini.
6. At the stop sign turn left towards Carlentini and after about 60 meters you will see a big billboard with "IPERSPAR" supermarket on it. Right after this sign turn right (on your left you will also see a mirror for oncoming traffic). You will see a sign for Azienda Agricola San Calogero. Follow this road until you see a blue sign for "San Calogero". The" Commenda di San Calogero" has a blue gate with two cement benches on its side.
30% on the total amount is required at the time of booking.
8 days. Full pre-payment required no later than 15 days before arrival.
Check-in time: 14:00:00
Check-out time: 10:30:00
Early check-in: yes, subject to availability
Late check-out: yes, subject to availability
Please note: rates indicate FROM price for the given period and may differ for higher number of visitors. Rates currency is EUR.
Rates at Commenda di San Calogero are per room per night.
VIEW OTHER GREAT BOUTIQUE HOTELS IN THE AREA
DONNA CORALY RESORT
Donna Coraly Resort is an authentic Sicilian boutique hotel experience in Siracusa. If you are looking for a small, luxurious hotel (there are just 5 suites here) with very personal service then Donna Coraly Resort is the one for you.
Hortus is a stylish boutique hotel alternative in the ancient town of Modica, Sicily. This Chic Retreat can be found in a 16th-century building next to the cathedral of San Giorgio and is ideal for couples, friends or families looking for a luxury self-catering base from which to explore Sicily and this UNESCO World Hertage site.
This two bedroom, 20th-century Chic Retreat is located in the historical heart of Modica, south eastern Sicily and is a charming romantic hideaway for those looking for a self-catering alternative to a boutique hotel.